Saturday, February 6, 2010

Session #4

1. Our text categorizes electronic information into four types:

Textual Information- The book describes Electronic verses paper distribution. I think this is important to go on line as the campus is trying to “GO GREEN”. Most of the college campuses classrooms are set up so the professor can go over the syllabi on the wall screen and every student can see what the professor is talking about. This has been very helpful to me as a student. The professor can also show how to use whatever form of media they chose to enlighten the student for ease in turning in projects. I as a student like having the course syllabus and outline of assignments on line. This helps me to have easier access to the information. I live over an hour away and have a busy life so if I can access information in a text format it helps to simplify my life. If the documents are in text I usually have no problem getting them to down load wherever I am.

Presentation Graphics Slide Show- I relate to this as a power point that the professor may use in class. They usually post it on Blackboard or their web pages so the student has access to it before class. I find it helpful to print and take my notes on the PowerPoint to help me keep the material straight in my head. Some professors put up pictures on the slide show and talk about them instead of putting the text of what they are going to say. I like this because the picture tends to simulate my memory of the lecture. On line I would also need the text.

Spreadsheets and Databases- This was just expressed regarding grades in an excel format and the use of a calendar. I like seeing my grades, I think blackboard is the best for it in college. You can set your spread sheet so no one can change it or allow the student to do “what if “ I got a 80 on my final what would my grade be.

Multimedia objects-The Vocational degree program uses multimedia. The professor will have some item that we need to look at and the next thing you know a bird or something will pop up moving around.

2. Sample of text specific detail

Class please log on to Alice Pedersen’s Bog at http://apederse.blogspot.com/

On the left had side of the page; it will show Session 3, 2, 1

You will log on to Session 2. Read the response from Alice and comment on her blog.

You will receive 3 extra credit points for following directions and posting.

Deadline date will be Sunday the 7th.

3. The difference between synchronous and asynchronous communication, Asynchronous is the class can view or listen at anytime. Does not rely on anyone else to be logged on at the same time and synchronous is like the talk shoe with Dr. Monahan we all logged on and could hear him speaking and write questions and Dr Newberry would ask the questions at the correct time as to not interrupt the guest speaker. Asynchronous is the normal way of taking eLearning classes. The professor post something, the student reads it on the students schedule and responses by a deadline. Synchronous is different because as a class we are to log on together at a certain time and chat with each other.

4. Bulletin Board has a lot of technologies that offer LMS like Chat feature. I have used this in a couple of my classes and it works like blogging we are doing in this class with Dr. Newberry. Dr Monahan talked quite about the support that goes into updating and keeping Blackboard user friendly. I have never experienced a class like with Dr Monahan and I don’t know if Blackboard has a feature like it. It may but no one has looked into it yet.

5. Blackboard has a lot of technology available if the instructor wants to use it. I notice that Dr Newberry does not use the grading box under tools. In my classes, only about half of the instructors used the grading on blackboard. The digital box under the tools, I have used like a chat, the instructor can set it up so you can see everyone’s response or just yours. Also under tools you can update your e-mail to help make sure you receive all of the information that the rest of the class is receiving. Communication is a under used area in my classes, I don’t even know what some of the buttons are used for because the professors are not using the tools available in that category.

6. The task I am going to pick is a PowerPoint presentation. I actually like power points and I like showing what the lecture is going to be about. If posted a head of time the students can have a nice in class communication. Blackboard supports the power points, but you can also put up the word doc incase a student cannot open the PowerPoint.

3 comments:

  1. I was trying to get my extra credit but the page was taking for ever to load. Power Points are great. Google Documents has a presentation function that creates a basic power point project that is viewed as web pages. You are able to link to it os they don't have to download the presentation. I am still playing with it but I like how basic it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are some techniques you could/should employ to create effective PowerPoints for eLearning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like PowerPoints quite a bit. In addition, the better I get at creating them, the more fun it is!

    ReplyDelete