Tuesday, January 19, 2010

ETEC 674 Session 1


My name is Alice Pedersen.

I am in the Career and Technical Masters Program and awaiting acceptance into the PPS School Counseling Program. I currently hold a Designated Subject Teaching Credential, but I am not teaching and have no experience teaching.
I am taking the ETEC classes for the certificate. I find my computer skills and Technology in general lacking, so I am trying to not be afraid of technology. Last quarter I took ETEC 500, I learned about websites and skyping. That was a very stressful class, I am now not afraid of Skype.

I have a fair amount of on-line class experience, most of it using Blackboard. I took about 4 EVOC classes on line and ETEC 546 on-line. Some of my hardest classes have been on line like Music 180.

My goals are to organizing my schedule, falling behind is my biggest fear. It is super hard to catch up if you fall behind taking on-line classes. I also like to see what other students have turned in, sometime it is very encouraging to me and helps me define a project I am working on.
Here goes for my first blog post.
Alice

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to class! No need to fear the technology in this class, setting up this blog was probably about the hardest thing you have to do.

    Falling behind is indeed the thing to worry about. All 10 week classes tend to move fast and it is hard to catch up if you get behind.

    Check out the other blogs and don't forget to leave comments for your fellow students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,
    Ditto what Dr. Newberry said. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. There are many resources available. All you have to do is ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Alice,
    Also welcome! From what I have seen, everyone here seems to be friendly and helpful. And I agree with you about online class deadlines; at the same time, falling behind in face-to-face classes seems to be the same or worse for me!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice,
    Thanks for forwarding the blog addresses! If you ever need any help with anything technological, I will be more than glad to help. I'm still playing catch up since I just gained access to the course yesterday, so I appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alice, I had a bear of a time posting to your blog. Hopefully all will run smoothly the rest of the quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that many people believe that taking an online course is so easy, but I have taken several and they always required so much more from me that those classes where I sat for 4 hours (tuned out). I really enjoy the experience. I notice that there is less competition and more cooperation in online classes, so if you need help, just holler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alice! Is your goal in education to become a school counselor? I think that might be my log term goal, but I can't imagine more school right now - I just want to get through this program first. I'm working on my masters. I totally understand what you mean about trying not to ge behind...I thought I would be ahead of everything this week, but here it is, Sunday night and I'm playing catch-up. :)

    ReplyDelete